Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Peter J.'s Top [mumble] Movies Circa Now-ish

Jeez, these guys are organized; I'm not sure I could come up with anything like a top 20 list, especially one that ranks the movies relative to one another. I do have an informal list of films that I'll re-watch, though, and a fairly representative excerpt follows:

  • Annie Hall
  • The Iron Giant
  • Lola rennt (aka Run Lola Run)
  • Magnolia
  • Citizen Kane
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • La vita รจ bella (aka Life is Beautiful)
  • Contact
  • Monty Python and The Holy Grail
  • TRON
  • Wag the Dog
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey

I'm a little surprised at the number of flicks listed on the other two lists that I haven't seen: The African Queen, In the Name of the Father, The Cider House Rules, Fearless, Lone Star, Schindler's List and Wonder Boys. Apocalypse Now and Young Frankenstein would've been on that list until about a month ago; neither cracked the re-watch list per se, although I might check out AN: Redux out of curiosity.

Update: Looks like Kimota94 posted another list while I was writing. Add 12 more movies to my haven't-seen list and one (The Godfather) to the just-seen.

5 comments:

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Great list, Peter! I've actually seen every movie on your list, and would have about five or so of them on my Top 50. The only entry on your list that I actually didn't enjoy, as opposed to the rest which were all "ok or better," (for me), was Magnolia. I wanted to like it, but it just kept rebuffing me again and again with its posturing and look-at-how-clever-I-am approach to storytelling. On the other hand, I've only seen it the once, so maybe I'm being too harsh.

Anonymous said...

Magnolia's definitely a love-it-or-hate-it movie; there doesn't appear to be much middle ground. You're the first to bring up those particular criticisms, though: most I've heard have been related to its length, or the dislike of certain characters, or the randomness of "the scene". The people who love it seem to identify strongly with a certain character; that's definitely the case for me, with Macy's "Quiz Kid" Donnie Smith. ('Cause you all thought I was going to say Frank T.J. Mackey, didn't you? :-P)

T said...

Hated Magnolia.

Contrived emoting unhinged by unreal settings and situations. All of those actors are usually great, but the whole thing went way overboard. Indulgence at its worst.

Loved Boogie Nights, Hard Eight and that Adam Sandler movie though.

Anonymous said...

Also hated Magnolia, although oddly enough I LOVE the ending.

Anonymous said...

And no comments about Contact !!!! That made me laugh out loud. Com'on Tam, tell him what you think about Contact!
And of course the point of thinking up and sharing top 20 movie lists among friends is to hear about movies you haven't watched and maybe should watch, if just to tease your friends!