Thursday, August 30, 2007

Jimmy Hinckley's Top 20 Movies Circa February 2005

Former blogger, current blog-reader, and perrenial math wizard Jimmy Hinckley requested that I post his Top 20 Movies list for him, and so here it is:

20. Trainspotting
19. American History X
18. Clerks
17. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
16. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
15. Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope)
14. Goldfinger
13. The Bourne Identity
12. Enter the Dragon
11. Fight Club
10. Aliens
9. The Shining
8. Raiders of the Lost Ark
7. The Matrix
6. The Shawshank Redemption
5. The Silence of the Lambs
4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
3. Pink Floyd's The Wall
2. Cider House Rules
1. The Lord of the Rings

5 comments:

Mike Marsman said...

What's with Cider House Rules? I really didn't think it was that great a movie, but it appears to be a common movie across several lists!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Great movie, made from a really good (John Irving) book, and a scrumptuous young Charlize Theron in an important role... what's not to love?

It's one of those movies I can watch over and over again, which is rarer than you might think (for me, at least).

T said...

Geez I can't believe that there aren't more math game/competition/code braking movies in this list:

ie Spellbound, Enigma, Searching for Bobby Fisher, Porky's II....

Jimmy has let us all down.

T said...

Just noticed that all these movies are on the 'Very violent' fringe. Many are spy flicks.

Should 'Secret Life of Walter Mitty' also be on there?

(gonna keep randomly posting comments until we get a Hinckley response)

Jimmy said...

That's the best list I've seen yet. I love all those movies.

As far as Cider House Rules goes - I saw it on Jan 1st 2000 in the theatre after working from 3AM to 10AM for potential Y2K bugs at the bank. Maybe I was tired, but every time Michael Caine said "Good Night you Princes of Maine, you Kings of New England" I started to cry. Just thinking about it now has made me well up a bit...

For "Math" movies - Pi was good but a little too weird for me to want to watch over and over. I might put "A Beautiful Mind" on the list now. And as weird as it seems, I haven't seen Spellbound, Enigma, or Searching for Bobby Fisher yet.