Thursday, August 30, 2007

Tammy's Top 20 Movies Circa NOW

My list changes a fair bit year to year since I'm still seeing great movies (new and old) all the time. You may notice that my list skews toward more recent movies. Although I've seen nearly every movie that would be considered a classic (most more than once), none of them really resonated with me all that much - and I certainly wouldn't like to watch them over and over again! Maybe some need another viewing now that I'm older and more likely to appreciate them. Anywho, here's my list!

1. Lost in Translation

2. Manhattan

3. The Departed

4. Pulp Fiction

5. Field of Dreams

6. Pleasantville

7. Lord of the Rings

8. Spirited Away

9. Wonderboys

10. Before Sunset

11. When Harry Met Sally…

12. Volver

13. The Wages of Fear

14. Lone Star

15. Run Lola Run

16. Annie Hall

17. American Beauty

18. Dead Poets Society

19. L.A. Confidential

20. Scream

4 comments:

T said...

My number 1 'don't get' is Lost in Translation. I saw it on DVD, on a small screen and have been told that it looses a lot. Every time that shot out the window of the hotel was shown, I gagged with boredom. Supposedly on a large screen, that shot serves to signify Murray's jet lag and .... boredom.

Guess I'm missing something.

Anonymous said...

I think if I'd written a review on it after my first viewing I probably would have given it **1/2, possibly even less. I remember my initial reaction was "that was it?" (after hearing some hype about it).

After getting over the initial expectations/boredom, I gave it another shot and, obviously, loved it. I like the feel of it: the whimsical, dreamy, lightheaded effect that Tokyo and late-night conversation can have on a person. I think the film is subtle and thoughtful, and it avoids taking cliched turns (such as actually having them sleep together, or telling you what he says to her at the end).

I love it because I get entraced with the world, and just drift through the whole thing (I don't find it boring anymore). I feel connected to this world and its characters.

But I certainly understand your reaction. If you don't feel that connection, it sure is a slow movie!

Anonymous said...

Wow...Scream still makes the list! and I am never going to understand the appeal of Manhattan and Annie Hall. I would have had a couple of Hitchcock's on my list.

T said...

Vicki, You don't like Woody Allen?

The opening of Manhattan, with Gershwin music over the skyline is one of the best things ever put on film.