Thursday, August 30, 2007

It's Funny The Way People's Brains Work

Both Mike and PeterJ expressed their feelings about how unnatural it seems to them to have lists of "Top 20 Movies" around, as Tim, Boneman, Tammy and I have done for years now. I personally find it very easy and natural to rank "like things", and in fact I do it all of the time without really thinking about it.

And of course one of the nice aspects of doing it periodically is that you can look back and see where your head (and tastes) were at during various periods of your life. I doubt I'll ever put The Ring on another "Top 20" list, but obviously in February of 2005 I'd seen it fairly recently and it'd really freaked me out! Since a truly scary horror movie is a rare commodity, that was enough (at the time) to allow it to break into the vaunted Top 20. I might never have remembered that, without that list...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love lists!!!

Mike Marsman said...

it's not that i don't like lists.. just that if i were to make it a real "top 20 of all time" list, i'd have to really, really think about it.

it would probably have to include things like The Care Bears Movie, too.

Mike Marsman said...

oops, did i actually just admit that? :P

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

What makes you think we didn't "really, really think about it" back in Feb of 2005? (OK, we probably didn't, but what makes you think that?)

In actual fact, I find the "you only get to watch one movie" and then "you get another one..." approach makes building a list like this one really easy. Also, given any two movies that I like, I can usually compare them relative to each other (in terms of current appeal) quite quickly. It's just the way my brain works!

Mike Marsman said...

i'm not saying that you didn't - i'm just saying that i didn't ;)