Monday, May 19, 2008

Dr. Dorian and Dr. Jones

Two recent tidbits from "writer boy" (and The Border scribe) Dennis McGrath. The first is his comments on an interesting no-punches-pulled interview (excerpt: "Total harsh buzz of not giving a s--t") with Scrubs creator Bill Lawrence. The second is DMc's agonized scream upon reading Salon's two-star review of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull... which is one of the higher ratings I've seen for the film. (Spoiler-free excerpt: "about as unfocused and meandering as the title itself".)

The latter isn't particularly surprising, but I'm still disappointed.

(Monday, 9am) OK, here's a surprise: 3.5 stars.

3 comments:

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Here's the thing about Indiana Jones movies, for me. Temple of Doom, I think we can all agree, was the worst of the original three (can we all agree on that, yes?). Even so, I can safely say that I've watched it at least three times in the 20 - 25 years since it came out. If it was a really crappy movie - like, say, Batman and Robin - then I'd never have seen it a second time (truth be told I've only watched part of B and R.. once!)

So even if the new Indy movie is no better than the second one, I'll still probably enjoy it enough to watch it a bunch of times before I die of old age (I should be so lucky!)

Anonymous said...

Temple of Doom is my favorite. I'm not sure why. I really like the raft scene, and the monkey brains, and the elephants...

Ebert loves the genre ('pulp fiction' I think is how he described it) so I think his review should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm with Matt though, I'm sure it'll be fun and re-watchable.

Anonymous said...

And it was good. Not a great movie, but re-watchable in several years as part of a 4 movie marathon! Fun fun