Sunday, February 3, 2008

Worst Movies of 2007
















(according to me... my apologies for the very short write-ups. at this point, if i don't do it like this, i won't do it at all.)

1. Spider-Man 3

Unfocused, contrived, a disgrace to the wonderful films that came before it.


2. Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Poor knowledge of history, over-acted, passionately awful.


3. Pirates 3: At World's End

I am one of the few that actually liked the second Pirates film. I found it driven and slightly captivating. This film resolves little, makes no sense, and is generally a waste of time.


4. Ocean's 13

Just sort of
blah.

5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Perhaps my favorite book of the series, yet definitely the worst movie (so far). None of the excitement, edge-of-seat action, or epicness or the book translates.

Some things worth mentioning:
- Although in principle I don't object to the concept of sequels or reduxes, all of these films are just that.
- #3-5 I saw while on my voyages through Europe. While they were certainly a welcome respite from the heat, and a piece of home - they all sucked.
- Best lists (1-4 of 2006, and 1-10 of 2007) on the way... hopefully.

- Today I saw a film that resonated personally more than anything has since Lost in Translation. I look forward to writing about it.

4 comments:

Pagan Mnemosyne said...

I'm relieved. I haven't seen any of them. Woot!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

You're way too hard on S-M 3 but at least you're doing it for a good reason (that you think it disgraced the first 2 movies in the franchise). I'm looking forward to getting my 2nd look at the film (this time on Blu-Ray!) sometime soon, after which I imagine I'll post a "Re-Review" of based on how it held up (or failed to) the 2nd time around.

I haven't seen any of the others on your list, so I can't say much about them. I'll just bet there were much worse movies in 2007 than any of the ones you listed but I guess you're limited by what you actually saw, which hopefully didn't include any of the truly dreadful ones.

Anonymous said...

Oh for sure, obviously I wouldn't pay money to see Norbit or Evan Almighty or something like that. Although, I can't imagine anything being worse than Spider-Man this year! ;)

cjguerra said...

I didn't find Spider-Man 3 that horrible, but I may be biased as I haven't seen Spider-Man 2 yet.

Having been reading the Harry Potter series with my son and re-watching the movies, I would move "Order of the Phoenix" to the top of the list. It would be a tall order to tell the book in a movie, as it is the longest of the first 6 books, but there are so many interesting parts that it is surprising that the editing couldn't have been done better. I find it sad to see a director I don't know doing the Nth sequel, big-name actors doing their thing and having the script miss many key points.