Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Heroes, Don't You Jump That Shark!

It's not the alleged 'slow pace' of Season Two of Heroes that has me worried. After all, when Lost suffered from that problem at times in the second and third seasons, I didn't mind at all since the character bits that were being introduced more than held my interest. No, what's troubled me over the first few episodes of Tim Kring's superhero series so far this season is just the sheer weight of the coincidences, starting to pile up beyond my ability to suspend disbelief!

You've got Sylar, lying on the road in the middle of nowhere just as Maya and her brother drive by, allowing for a potentially-tragic meeting without even a veneer of causality to explain it. How many people are on this planet, again? Six billion? Couldn't be! Six million? Still seems like long odds! Six thousand? Now you're talkin'!

Then there's the fact that Parkman somehow managed to adopt/become the guardian of Molly, despite him going through a divorce at the time, having been a recent suspect in a serial killer case (and being in trouble in general at work), and no prior connection to her?! I mean, sure, that works great for keeping those characters together and advancing the plot, but otherwise? Did that not seem a bit odd?

But wait, it gets weirder, because it just happens that the big new Boogie Man who Molly's terrified us? Parkman's dad! Oh yeah... that's some irony, eh? Or, that other thing... what's it called? Oh right, unbelievable coincidence!

I won't even go into how convenient it was that Ando noticed his name on the hilt of the sword at just the right moment to allow him to find out what Hiro's been up to in the past. (I'd love to have seen it written differently, where Hiro eventually gets back and asks, "Did you get all my messages?" to which Ando responds, "What the Hell are you talking about?")

I think amnesia's almost always a poor writing crutch, and here we have Peter suffering from it long enough to allow a side plot to continue so that he can't be around to flex his mighty morphin' muscles back in the main story. What next? Evil twins? A shower scene that undoes the previous season's events?

Now, don't me wrong... I'm still enjoying Heroes. But I can definitely see the sharks circling in the water, and Fonzie's unfortunately revving the crap out of his hog. Someone must stop the madness! While there's still time...

Rating (so far this season): ***

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A shower scene? What show was that used in?

T said...

Tammy - I think Matt is referring to Dallas and Bobby Ewing's death (?) being a dream.


Heroes - I watch some of it during th e commercials for Intelligence. Don't think I've actually missed anything and have to say the Jump the Shark moment came with that lame ass battle at the end of season 1.

T said...

Can a TV series jump back and be good again????

Heard that West Wing did although I didn't watch the Jimmy Smits seasons.

Heard that ER is good, but grew really tried of the 'This week a crisis of epic proportions hits county hospital...' hype.

David Webb said...

Is there ever a promo/teser for ER that doesn't include the words "pivotal", "critical", "don't miss", or "your children will die if you don't watch this episode"?