Monday, March 10, 2008

Review: Shake Hands With the Devil


I bought this movie without having seen it for a few reasons. The first was that I have heard pieces of Romeo Delaire's story and heard this was a good film version of that story. The second is because I like Roy Dupis. I liked him in the made-for-cable spin off of "La Femme Nikita" titled "Nikita" - though we always called it "The Michael Show" after Dupis' character. That and the biography "Maurice Richard". I know it sounds like I'm going on and on about this guy, but he is central - essential - to this film.

This is a difficult film, but one everyone should watch. I knew I was going to write a review within the first 10 minutes and so I've been thinking about it over the course of a day. I realized that this film provoked the same sensations as Shindler's List, but somehow more personal, drawing the viewer into the story. The real life tale about a soldier doing his best with the resources he has. The general is depict has a model soldier - strong, stoic, resourceful. That is the acting genius, that I could recognize the public figure Delaire under the subtle facade projected by Dupis.

The film shows how the stunning beauty of Rwanda seizes Delaire, but the tragedy of the situation unfolds with the an informer, the death of U.N. troops, the widening massacre around them they are powerless to stop and finally to the floating bridge that breaks the general.

The film does a good job of telling the story without nationalism, pointless history or racism. There are no loud heroics, no charging into the fray - just quiet, stubborn defiance of a few and the suffering of many. The only parties that may be slighted in the telling are the diplomats - the U.S., French and of course the U.N. administration. I cannot say how accurate this tale is, but the movie aligns with my existing opinions in the matter so I tend to think it is an accurate portrayal. The general is shown with his faults and all the decisions are laid out before us.

I think everyone should watch this film. It will make you uncomfortable and it doesn't have a silver lining. But it should be watched, simply to recognize all those people that died.

Rating: ****

No comments: