Thursday, September 13, 2007

Jon Stewart to host Academy Awards


Just recently announced, Jon Stewart has signed on to host the upcoming Oscars in February.

I think Jon's performance a couple of years back was verging on brilliant - not quite as good as some of the early Billy Crystal performances, but certainly better than some of the other hosts we've seen recently (like Ellen DeGeneres, Steve Martin, Chris Rock, ...)

As long as we don't have a repeat of the Letterman appearance. I can still hear the train wreck noises from his "Oprah, Uma. Uma, Oprah" jokes. Oh, but to fail in a spectacular way!

I wonder if Stewart's politically charged commentary will really make it's way to the show or if he will (be) show(n) control ... it *is* an election year, after all. Heh, I can almost hear it now ... Obama, Rudy. Rudy, Obama.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think he really made the most of it last time, so I hope he goes a bit further and is a bit bolder this time.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

I'm probably the only human being to feel this way, but I absolutely loved Letterman's hosting of the Oscars! His humour's admittedly an acquired taste, but somehow I acquired it years ago and have almost always enjoyed his (admittedly not always successful) attempts at "the funny."

Having said that, I echo Tammy's hopes that Stewart will push the envelope more than he did last time. Surely if he were going to do political humour, he'd make some sort of crack about which 'minority' it's more important to get into the White House first (female, or black).

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

(And, of course, if Condi Rice could be convinced to run, the U.S. could get a "twofer" by electing her!)

Anonymous said...

We're already hearing comments about John Edwards being the only choice on the Dem ticket as he's not black and not female...very sad.