Saturday, September 1, 2007

Fall Movie Preview

Here's a selection of fall movies that I, for one, am looking forward to:

3:10 to Yuma (Sept. 7):


The Wild West makes a comeback in the form of Christian Bale and Russell Crowe. The plot synopsises (is that a word?) I've been reading are fairly vague but I've gathered that it's about a captured outlaw and an upstanding citizen and a battle of wills! Exciting stuff, I'm sure.

Across the Universe (Sept. 14): I've mentioned this one before, it's an epic, weird film set to a Beatles score. Kind of a musical, but mostly just tripped out. I'm not actually sure if I'll see it - the trailer is intriguing but I think there's a strong chance that it will be quite awful.

The Darjeeling Limited (Oct. 5): Wes Anderson's (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums) latest film about three brothers who embark on a train trip across India in order to reconnect with each other. Things go wrong, hilarity (presumably) ensues.

Lars and the Real Girl (Oct. 19):


Ryan Gosling stars as a man who loves an inflatable doll. I kid you not. Doesn't that sound amazing?!!?

American Gangster (Nov. 2): Ridley Scott directs Denzel Washington as some sort of drug lord. Racial themes, probably.

No Country for Old Men (Nov. 9):


I'm not really a big fan of the Coen brothers (excepting Fargo, of course) but this looks like it could be a return to the quality of that masterpiece, if the early reviews are any indication. Basically it's about an old hunter (Josh Brolin) who finds a few dead bodies, a bunch of heroin, and 2 million dollars. That can't be good!

Mr. Magorium's Magical Emporium (Nov. 16): I first heard about this Willy Wonka-esque film when it was in production in Toronto (Natalie Portman staying mere meters from my Dad's apartment!) and it sounded cute and whimsical, if silly. I still don't really know what it's about, but the toys look cool!

2 comments:

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Inflatable women always remind me of that great, early Police song "Sally" (wedged in the middle of their song, "Be My Girl"):

"And then by lucky chance I saw [in] a special magazine

An ad. that was unusual, the like I'd never seen,

'Experience something different with our new imported toy,

She's loving, warm, inflatible and a guarantee of joy.'

She came all wrapped in cardboard, all pink and shrivelled down

A breath of air was all she needed to make her lose that frown.

I took her to the bedroom and pumped her with some life,

And later in a moment that girl became my wife."


Maybe it'll show up on the soundtrack for Lars and the Real Girl...

Anonymous said...

Westerns are overrated....I can't imagine Bale & Crowe making this one any good...but we shall see.